Tuesday, July 8, 2008

They're ALL Animals I tell Ya! :o)

My little brother & his family went to the Memphis Zoo (we're about 74 miles north of Memphis) about a year ago and declared that Sunday mornings were THE time to go to beat the crowds, everyone is in church! Well I kept waiting for the perfect time, you know no hunting season nice weather- not too hot not too cold - but it just didn't seem to be happening. (You know I got this cool new camera for christmas & my only baby is 17 and heading into his SR. year, if I didn't get it together soon it just wasn't going to happen. )
So Saturday I decided it was time to move on with this plan. At first Jim didn't seem too excited but he quickly said "yeah" he wanted to go & he went to town to get supplies for a picnic lunch. When first told Devan said "I can't". When asked why he said "drama" (he's in a drama group on Sunday night at the church). I told him" drama doesn't start till 6:30, we'll have you back in time". So now I had everyone commited, I had supplies for a picnic lunch, & I had already checked the internet and I knew that the zoo opens at 9:00 and that the high Sunday in Memphis was going to be 94 degrees!
So this was my plan everyone up & out of the house by 7 am. Stop at Daylight Donuts on the way out of town to grab breakfast (this is a treat, not something we usually do). Be at the zoo when they open at 9 am. Leave by 4:30 to get Devan home in time for drama.
So here's what happened, Devan slept through his alarm for at least 20 minutes - until I stopped getting ready and went & woke him up. We made it out of the door by ummm...... about 7:20. Then we had to stop by the bank and get gas, ooops didn't factor in those stops! Then to Daylight Donuts. We pulled out of D'burg around 7:40! Woops.
We made it to Memphis around 9:20 and after a few wrong turns,which has always been a tradition for us when we go to the zoo! We arrived at the zoo just before 10, okay so much for being there when they open the doors.
We enter the zoo and immediately begin our journey through the zoo @ cat country (this is the closest exhibit to the entrance. As we are working our way through the exhibit we come across an "older couple" (she was at LEAST 55!) that made me have to threaten both of my guys( it was all they could do not to loose it). Let's just say she wasn't dressed in the most appropriate attire for a woman of her age and years! She had on a bra-less, halter, strapless top thing that barely stayed up enough to cover her ummmm........ well let's just say her code name was "nipples"! The girls were definately on a southern vacation (as you would expect at that age) and just shouldn't have been "showcased" in such a way! For a while it seemed that no matter how much we tried to slow our pace we just couldn't get away from them, have you ever had one of those situations?
While we were going through the zoo Devan's cell phone rang and it was the drama co-ordinator from the church telling him that drama had been cancelled for that night! Wahoo! No time constraints we could stay as long as we wanted!
We really had a wonderful time! Most of the animals co-operated, except for the bears. We broke for lunch around 12 and except for Devan's "spill" with the water (I'll tell you more about that later) we had a wonderful time. :o)
At the end of the day I had taken 621 pics! I am half way through the deleting and editing process (I had to report for jury duty yesterday so that ate up a huge chunck of my time). I thought I would take a break this morning and post a few of my "favorites" so far on here. Hope you enjoy! :o)












Okay, so when we broke for lunch we chose a couple of benches conviently located under a cover next to a trash can that just happened to be next to the water fountain. While eating Devan happened to notice that there was a couple of itty bitty's playing in the fountain. When we told him that it was okay that they wouldn't get in trouble (they didn't have this feature when he was little) his eyes got big & I knew we were in trouble! LOL! No sooner were the words out of our mouths and he was finished with lunch and ready to "jump" in! Okay it was 94 degrees and we were getting pretty miserable so I tried to think of a compromise that would keep things under control and everyone (ok ME) happy. So I told him "take off your shoes & socks, roll up your jeans and what ever else you get wet you will have to deal with it and live with it until it's dry - NO complaining!" I was trying to make it sound like a BAD thing to be wet above the ankles, LOL. Anyway I stopped eating and grabbed my camera and snapped a few pics of him wading into the fountain, he seemed to be treading calmly. My big mistake was thinking that him sticking his face into the water was enough to satisfy his urge to get wet above his ankle! I had just sat down to finish my sandwich and the NEXT thing I knew he was WET from Head to TOE! Upon seeing the look on my face he starts telling Jim that it was an accident. Okay how dumb do you think I am? He said "it got slippery when I jumped", well duh! You aren't supposed to be JUMPING! (No I didn't take a pic of that!)
Anyway we had a beautiful day and the best part was........ late last night while I was editing pics he came downstairs and sat with me for a while and said "you know the zoo was pretty cool, we need to go back sometime". OMG! Isn't that what we do all of this stuff for as parents?!? Little comments like that, that let us know that even though it wasn't a BIG production, that there wasn't anyone outside OUR family involved it was STILL a good time! (YES! :o) ) So maybe before he's totally "grown up" and "leaves me" for good -I still have a few "special" moments to look foward to! :o)

No comments: