Wednesday, August 20, 2008

time well spent...

Yesterday Alex (my niece) brought Dev home from school & spent the evening hanging out with Aunt Sheila! :o)
She hasn't been around a lot lately.
She actually sent me a text last week that said "Yeah I guess the whole driving thing has kept me pretty busy lol".
I guess this is part of me getting ready for next year when we are just another couple of old people with nothing interesting or fun going on in their home.
Anyway, we have a photo club meeting tomorrow (she's in photo club with me) so we wanted to do a little evening shoot to see what we could get.
We left the house about 4:30 and headed over to the county high school, they have a Beautiful "english" type garden over there (this month's club topic was flowers).
We were able to get a few good shots but it's kind of late in the season and most of the flowers are kind of "spent" looking. Here are a couple of my faves from DCHS yesterday...





I LOVE this fountain...
After DCHS we headed down to the "mighty Mississippi", our goal was to try to get some sunset shots on the river. Maybe even catch something worthy of entering in the upcoming "shoot dyer county" contest.
The first road we turned down didn't exactly bring us to the river, but Alex liked the way it looked and wanted to stop & take a couple of shots. She always comes up with the neatest ideas (she's good at thinking outside the box) and she liked the way the road seemed to go on forever. She wanted me to shoot a couple of shots of her with the road visible in the background...



I kind of like the way this shot turned out, it represents Alex well.
She tends to "pick the road less traveled" in life (hmmm... kind of sounds like a LO coming on doesn't it :o) lol)
After taking a few shots here we did find a road that took us to the river.
Before I progress with the story any further let's stop and take a little lesson in southern culture... the "mighty mississippi" has a substance that is referred to in these parts as "gumbo". It is a mud that is like quick sand, once you take one step onto it you are pretty much doomed and... it STINKS like you would not believe.
Okay, now that the lesson is out of the way we can go on with our story.
Once we were in view of the bridge (this was our goal) I started to "scout" our location to see what kind of shots we could get &...
can you guess what I did???
yep! I stepped right into the "gumbo"!
Did I mention I was wearing sandals???
My Favorite sandals!
I was just glad that I wasn't holding my camera, it can be hard to keep your balance when you are trying to pull one leg out of the "gumbo" and your other is sinking deeper as you do so.
It's kind of a non-ending battle, I did however manage to finally "free" myself after sinking into the "gumbo" half way up my calves!
I also had to fish said sandals out of the mud and make my way to the water to "freshen up" a little. :o)



Cute pic huh? There were a couple of men down there fishing (the poles belong to them) and they were kind enough to direct me to an area that would get me out of the "gumbo". I'm sure they were dying laughing inside but they were kind enough to not do it in front of me.
(When I got home a took a very LONG bath before going to bed and scrubbed very well, but you know what??? While working with my pics this am all I could think was "I still smell like "gumbo!". This stuff is REALLY strong & smells like muddy-dead fish! Lucky girl huh? :o)
Needless to say I have already jumped into the shower again today.
Jim now assures me that I don't stink anymore, lol.)



While we were waiting for the sun to break out from the clouds I spotted a couple of rocks & couldn't resist having Alex pose for a couple more shots. :o)
We were finally rewarded with a sunset, but I'm not the one with the sunset shots. Alex had the camera at that time & she was busy shooting her little heart out.



A small geography lesson for ya'll that aren't from around these parts.
This is a shot of the Tennessee/Missouri bridge.
(Dyersburg is located in the very North-West corner of Tennessee)
We are standing on the shore of the Tennessee side (left) & if you were to drive over that bridge you would be in Missouri.

No comments: