Sunday, August 17, 2008

Scrap Alert!!! :o)

Okay, raise your hand if you LOVE Thickers, go ahead raise it - you know you do!
Do you know how much you pay for a package of Thickers???
Well I checked at HL they range from $2.99 - $3.99,
not bad especially if you catch them on sale.
Now...
Raise your hand if you have the Quickutz Revolution...
Raise your have if you have a Quickutz font...
Last but not least raise your hand if you have a Xyron (any size will do really).
Stop & think about ALL the qustions I have just asked you,
go ahead I'll give you a minute...
Can you figure out what I'm going to tell you next???
Yep, if you have the above items that I have mentioned you have the ability to make your own Thickers for a fraction of the cost!
You are only limited by the fonts that you (& your friends) have. :o)
When I was at Ruth's I ran out of white Prima flowers, so I bought some felt to run through the revolution, it worked I just wasn't as happy with the results.
Ruth wondered about the foam (remember those BIG packages of foam I bought on vacation, remember I said I would tell you what they were for later?).
So Ruth bought a sheet of adhesive backed foam. When we got home she ran it through the revolution with one of her new 4x8 alphas (Chemistry) and it cut and looked Perfect!
That font looks just like Thickers & you get the entire alpha on ONE sheet of foam!
So Cool!!! :o)
Now I don't have any of the new 4x8 dies, so we weren't really sure how well I would be able to do this.
I tend to like thin, swirly fonts, but you know what ???
It works like a DREAM !!! I would NOT however try this with the hand tool, I just don't think the results would be as good, that thing has a hard time cutting through bazzil for pete's sake.
So here is one of the LOs I'm working on (I know I'm very slow, lol) and on this LO is my HOMEMADE Thickers!



See that font??? You won't find that in any Thickers package.
That's Sophie!
You really can't get any SKINNIER or SWIRLIER than Sophie.
I figure if it worked with Sophie...
it will work with ANY of the fonts! :o)





Below is a close up so you can see, it's got the dimension & texture that you've come to love from Thickers.



So here's the bottom line & how it breaks down.
Package of thickers $2.99-$3.99, limited to the colors available and fonts available from Thickers.
Now if you make you own:
Fonts-you are ONLY limited by the fonts you can actually get your hands on
Colors-you are ONLY limited by the color of foam you can find
Cost- there are packages that are 5 1/5" x 8 1/5"
in the adhesive backed you get 20 sheets for $4.99
in the NON-adhesive you get 50 sheets for $4.99 (I will tell you that I bought both and you DO get MORE colors is the package WITHOUT adhesive)
or you can take a completely different route and go for the 12x18" sheet that is just $.79! :o)
Now there are many other places to get foam besides HL. But if you are lucky enough to live where there is one you know that every other week you can go online and print out a 40% off coupon!
What did I pay for my cute little Thickers title on this page??? About $.08 at MOST (& yes that includes the adhesive)! :o)
Don't you just LOVE a good Scrappy bargain.
Now a little info about the LO, this past Easter we were able to spend Easter at my parents home (she was out of town at a wedding).
We had a blast & I took EVERY advantage to enjoy my time there as much as possible!
I did lots of things with the nephews and took TONS of pics! :o)
I still have "things" that aren't finished or just right about this LO, but I wanted to go ahead and share the "Thickers" with you. :o)

No comments: