Monday, September 1, 2008

it's apple pickin' time in Tennessee ...

well I never would have guess how I would spend this long "holiday" weekend.
I thought I was going to play around & be productive with some "scrappy" goodness, but when Jim came into the house after mowing all that changed.
We bought this house in May 1997. The people we bought the house from had over planted everything (we've spent years moving & eliminating plants) & all trees were planted very close to the house instead of spreading them out over the property (there's 6 acreas, there's no reason to crowd the house).
After we took possesion we did move a couple of the trees ( 2 apple ) to the back of the property. One died and one survied, it has never done much of anything as far as producing ( & we never really thought that it would without it's mate) .
Three years ago when our sweet Lula died we burried her under that tree (we thought she would like it there) .
About a year ago my SIL Tonya was here visiting and went walking on the back of the property. When she returned you would have thought she had won a great prize! In her hot little hand she was holding an apple. :o)
Apparently the tree had produced 1 apple that year & it wasn't very big but Tonya was happy as a clam she sat down with a knife & had a ball with her "find" for the day.
Yesterday Jim went out to mow & shortly he returned holding an apple, he said that our tree had apples & that it was time to pick them ( he was so proud) . He offered me the one he had & said "they're good & sweet". I grabbed a laundry basket & gave it to him & told him I would come help.
On my way out the door I grabbed my camera of course (we've never had apples before this needed to be documented! :o) )
I was completely surprised at what I found when I got out there ...



here's a little pic of Jim picking the apples :o) ...



would you LOOK how FULL the tree was! It was about to break the branches they were sooo loaded!



I never guessed when I handed him a laundry basket that it would FILL the basket, Jim was just as surprised as I was ...



aren't they pretty! :o) You are looking at 66 lbs of goodness from our back yard (yep that's right 66 lbs!) . Since it was in our back yard & we didn't really expect anything from the tree they are all organic too! hehe



Once I got everything gathered I couldn't resist snapping this pic, there's something very comforting & homey :o)



So since yesterday afternoon I have been doing something that I haven't done since we moved out here, we have been making apple pie filling & spiced applesauce! Yum :o)
The last jar has just come out & now I have to go get ready, I have to work the photo club booth at the fair this evening with Alex.
Tomorrow I'll share a pic of our finished products ( I know you are dyeing to see that, lol) .

No comments: