Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the road of life is very rough sometimes ...

so for those who know us this comes as NO Suprise!
After all I've said it from the very beginning...
"within Six months of getting his license that kid is going to put the van in a ditch!"
yep that's what I've said and it has finally come true, I would have prefered to have been wrong on this prediction but I wasn't :o( .
Tuesday night he had rehearsal, when it was over we got the text that he was on his way home.
When his headlights approached the drive the dogs started "barking" their welcome, after a bit I told Jim "Callie sure is barking for a long time" to which he replied "nah, she always barks long".
A while later Devan finally came through the door & qiuetly said
"I need some help"
Us "help, with what?"
Dev "I'm not sure what I hit but something knocked me off the drive"
Us "what? off the drive? how fast were you going???"
Dev " not very fast, only about 25"
Us "25!!! are you crazy! you should barely get up to 10!!!"
blah, blah, blah- you get the picture.
Soooo Jim goes out & after quite a while comes back and says " it's going to take a tow truck to get it out & I'm not sure that it won't end up in the pond" - great just great ...
So Wednesday morning I handed over the money that Devan was saving for the London trip to pay for a tow truck.
Turns out that we weren't even able to get up the drive ourselves, to get to work we had to drive across the nieghbor's yard (thank-goodness that the house is empty right now) & go up their drive.
Jim felt bad for him & kept thinking about it that morning till he realized that his cousin has a diesel dually & a great big chain. So he borrowed the truck, came home, & after a lot of pulling & sweating was able to get the van back on the drive. :o) (Devan owes his dad Big Time! I would have just paid the tow truck & let it be their problem) He said that more than once he was sure that it was going to tip over & end up in the pond before he got it up on the drive again.
You know the kid just hugs the shoulder soooo bad I knew it would happen, thing is since he did it the drive in much narrower now so he has no margin for error- geesh that really doesn't make me feel better.



just before driving across the neighbor's yard to use their drive so I could go to work I jumped out with my phone & snapped a couple of shots just to show you :o)



I appoligize for the glare, it was early morning. The photos don't really do it justice - I'm not sure that you can really tell how far off the drive his tires were but Trust me it was pretty bad!
Ultimately though if this is the worst that he ever does driving I know that we will have gotten off easy ... hey a girl can hope :o)

No comments: